Named for the man many consider the father of the modern environmental movement, the David Brower Center was founded on the idea that when diverse people engage, dream, and work together, they are more effective at finding solutions to today’s most pressing environmental and social problems. With our green building as an anchor, since 2009 the Brower Center has grown into a thriving community center that brings together nonprofit organizations, social entrepreneurs, artists, activists, and the general public to engage in creative dialogue and action. We are committed to a long-term, mainstream shift toward sustainability that can only occur when we support the activists driving change and welcome new people and ideas into the fold.
Since our opening, we’ve proudly offered the environmental and social justice movement holistic support through our unique combination of permanent infrastructure and ongoing programs. We’ve provided:
- An inspiring community center for the 100,000 engaged citizens who have come through our doors.
- Stable, healthy work space for more than 30 resident organizations each year, as well as capacity building and social opportunities through our Brower U program.
- Fifteen museum-quality art exhibitions featuring the work of acclaimed artists such as Sebastião Salgado, Richard Misrach, Maya Lin, Chris Jordan, and Amy Franceschini.
- Over 60 engaging, low-cost educational programs designed to draw new members of the public to our movement and provide tools for action.
- Over 1,500 green events through our facility rental program, which supports a growing sustainable events industry through strict low-waste contracting requirements.
- More than 100 building tours, acting as a smart development model for nations as far-flung as Ecuador, Finland, and China, as well as a learning lab for local students.
The Brower Center’s programs depend upon the support of community members like you. Donate to help us realize a future that respects both people and the planet.
Support is currently being sought at multiple levels, with many benefits available for our generous friends!
Checks may be mailed to the David Brower Center, 2150 Allston Way, Suite 100, Berkeley CA 94704.
The Brower Center accepts stock donations, multi-year pledges, legacy gifts, and corporate sponsorships. Please contact Jackie Hasa, Director of Community Partnerships and Exhibitions, at email@example.com or 510-809-0900 x156 for details.